Lately, more clients are seeing the benefits of BIM. So I get to ramp up our standards for 2011. Meaning I want to change a few things to use the 2011 new features.
I finished our template a couple of weeks ago. The few things I added/changed:
Sheet Index – With our typical sheets to choose from when creating a new sheet, this helps with our standards, I can keep people to follow our naming convention. I added a sorting parameter so the sheets are set listed in the typical set up.
View browser organization by type/category – I added a parameter so we can group our plot views, working views, and presentation views, etc. In showing staff how to use that parameter, I’m telling people they can add their name as a type so they can group all of their views. It helps with efficiency and clean up. When I open projects to check things or help out, I can clean them up a little easier. I can easily see what views can go, without guessing anymore. Deleting views “not on sheets” is easy, but sometimes they are actually named to something that looks like it will be on a sheet, but I’m not sure so I don’t delete it or I open to see it. That takes a lot of time.
I’m working on combining our CAD and BIM standards manual so it is one, probably be named our Digital Standards Manual, so I can include some information for using 3D Studio, formZ and other programs we use in the Design Department.
I’m excited to get back on this track, after a year of not being able to do much. Things are looking up!